Sunday, March 30, 2014

TV and a toddler

In this generation how can a child NOT watch TV at some point in the day? I completely understand and get that it's totally up to the parents about HOW much and WHAT the child watches, but when you naturally turn the TV on as background noise.. it is a hard habit to break. 
For the last 7 months, Brinnley has been babysat at our house. Naturally, the TV has probably and most likely been on during that time frame unless you count naps and playtime in different rooms, occasional walks and other errands with Grandpa. Our babysitter hasn't been allowed to take Brinnley anywhere in her car and the weather has obviously been crappy.. thankfully she lives (my sister in law) only a few blocks away and has taken Brinnley to her house to play with Grandpa and their dog. It works.. and it is the most ideal situation you could think of. Family babysitter at our house, how much easier does it get?
Now that Brinnley is GOING somewhere else to be watched for the last 2 months of school.. I know that TV will not be on her agenda throughout the duration of her stay at our new babysitters. YAY!

Anyway... TV is a thing in our household. We watch it, we enjoy it, but we don't HAVE to watch it all day long.. and we don't. Like I mentioned above, it's like music for me.. a background noise that is on while I am doing things, or that I watch while I relax. Brinnley isn't interested in the TV unless there is something that she enjoys on.. 
Such as Little Einsteins, Sophia the First, Mickey Mouse Club, and her new obsession.. and I mean obsession, Frozen. As a little toddler, I don't believe that these shows will rot her brain or hold her back in learning new things. 


For example, she has learned movements and loves to move along to Little Einsteins. She holds her hands up high when they ask, she claps and dances along, and she laughs at the show. The music is amazing on there and it is a learning show. We DVR it so it is always available for her. I have become THAT mom that has Frozen on my phone and Brinnley has realized she has access to it... just yesterday while we were walking around Home Depot and she was getting tired and ready for a nap.. we weren't ready to leave quite yet so I gave her my phone, locked the app onto Frozen (best feature EVER) and let her hold it. She watched with such delight for the 20 minutes we were in the store and continued into the car. The main reason I even have the movie on my phone was for our flights down to Mississippi since I knew that she wouldn't sleep on BOTH flights both ways.. she only takes one nap a day. Yes, I used it as a babysitter/distraction for not only my sanity, my child's, but for each passenger on all 4 of those flights. 
She is an active little girl who moves around while she watches Little Einsteins and can't sit through an entire movie, she plays with her toys in the living room and her bedroom.. where she does NOT have a TV at the moment. We are thinking about it for the future.. but don't feel the need to with such a small house and she's too young for it still! 

No comments: