Saturday, September 28, 2013

Wildcat Run for Education

This morning Brinnley and I ventured out to my work to participate in their 3rd annual 5k run/walk! At first, I had thought I was just going to walk the 5k, I mean, I had Brinnley in our Cadillac sized stroller but once the race began, I noticed that I was extremely bored, only 1 minute into the race! So, off we went! I pushed myself to new levels I haven't felt in years and it felt so good. The race was on roads that were definitely not even and even a few gravel areas. With the wind blowing SO HARD as it always does in this town, Brinnley was not a fan of having a blanket blowing in her face. She braved through the winds and luckily, at a few points in the race the wind was at our backs.. of course, there were a few lengths where I was pushing into the wind, but those were the stretches I ran quicker and more so Brinnley wouldn't be in the wind very long!

 
 She was a trooper the whole way and just hung out. I thought she would fall asleep considering it was well into her naptime, but she didn't at all. I think the scenery of the fields and open areas was new to her and she enjoyed the view.
Once I started, I gave myself goals. I ran to this point, then walked to this point. I made the walking points a lot shorter than my runs. It felt so good to be running again, and not on my treadmill. I knew I could push myself and the last 1/4 mile I ran the entire way to the finish line. It was an amazing feeling to hear and see so many people that I work with and know in the community cheering me on! Pushing Brinnley the whole way was a challenge I had to mentally push through - it's hard to run without moving your arms and with the extra weight of baby, diaper bag, road conditions, wind, and myself!  
 
I finished at 37:53 and in 3rd place for the women!
Even though my legs felt like jello at the end, it was so worth it and of course, it was for a good cause! I love the community I work in and am actually hoping to run in another 5k! It was a blast and not too far.. maybe the next one won't be with a big stroller in front of me. 

1 comment:

Lauren Peters Blog said...

Woohoo!! So proud of you!! :)