Thursday, November 28, 2013

The 4 stages of Thanksgiving: 2013

Last night, as Aaron and I laid down for bed, I mentioned the fact that we have been together now for 4 different Thanksgivings/Christmases and each and every one of them was at a different stage in our relationship. 

Let's take a trip down memory lane, shall we?
Unfortunately, I don't have blog posts for our first 2 Thanksgivings together.. but I do have pictures!

2010: 
 
Aaron and I had only been dating since late May of that year.. I had already met most of his family over the summer because of the Idaho State Fair (at least his dad's side of the family) and I knew they were an amazing group of people and I fit right in. You know the feeling where you just belong? That's exactly how I felt with his family. I hadn't felt that way before in previous relationships, especially my last one, and I feel like that's one of the most important things in a relationship - to feel at ease, comfortable, not judged, and loved for who I was by the family you will be joining at some point in the future. 
We spent the day at his Grandma Ella's in New Plymouth and it surely was a fun day of laughing and listening to his uncles sing! By the end of the day we were stuffed and I was officially liked more than Aaron by most of his family :) They appreciated how open and friendly I was. It probably helped that I wasn't degrading Aaron in any way and I was very self sufficient like in his past relationship.
This stage was important for us.. we were new and in love and figuring out if we were a perfect match for each other in all aspects of our lives, including our families. We both got the thumbs up from both sides, and it only helped us fall more in love with each other.. 

2011:  
For some reason, I don't have any pictures from this year! But, this year was especially special for us as a couple. We were in the stage where forever was in the forefront. We both knew we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together and it was just a matter of time before it would become official. 
This year on Thanksgiving we went back to Grandma Ella's again in New Plymouth. This holiday was much more eventful.. once inside the house for only a few minutes, I felt a rustle on the top of my head. I went to feel for it and out came a bee attached to the chunk of meat on my hand where your thumb connects to your wrist. Being terrified of bees, and bee stings, I immediately started freaking out - of course, the bee stung me and I flung it off my hand and instantly started to cry. Yes, it hurt, but mostly, I was scared - the bee was in my hair!! Aaron's family didn't understand what was going on until I was able to calm down.. Aaron laughed at me only to soon realize I was crying and gently wiped my tears away. 
To keep the day going full force - the neighbor across the street backed into the front of our brand new Nissan Rouge! Being as eventful as it was, it only brought us closer and made us understand that family holidays and events will always be full of life!
It was this year that Aaron asked me to be his wife and spend forever with him. It was the start of our future together... 
  

 2012: This year was especially important for us, after getting married in March and honeymooning in May, and then becoming pregnant, our lives changed forever.... I was about 28 weeks pregnant with miss Brinnley. We spent the day over at Aaron's parents house. It was relaxing and easy going. Much of it was spent discussing the future and what life would be like in a few short months and even the following holiday season. We weren't officially parents, but we were on the road to becoming them...
I went Black Friday shopping and scored some awesome deals with my sister in law, Abbey. It was an adventure for sure and not something I recommend for someone that pregnant! 
 

 2013: This year, as you know, is very important. We have our little family and are happier than ever. We are excited to spend the holidays with our baby girl and begin the traditions we hope to carry on for many, many years! So far today we slept in, thankfully until about 7:30, watched a bit of the parade, and are relaxing until we head the 3 blocks over to Aaron's parents house. I was planning on cooking and doing the whole shabang - but I was sick over the weekend and had parent/teacher conferences until 8pm Monday and Tuesday - there was no time to shop or even plan. I was exhausted by Wednesday and we decided that I'll try that for next year. 
This stage of our lives and marriage are what we have talked about for so long. I can't imagine sharing my life with anyone other than Aaron and Brinnley. I often get asked when we will be adding to our family.. but we are in no rush to give Brinnley a sibling. Life is about the moments, and moments with each other and Brinnley are priceless. We want to spend as much time with just her. We will continue making memories with just the 3 of us.. for now, it's 
just between us three 


 Ps. We had our family pictures taken. Again, TK Productions did an amazing job, just like with Brinnley's newborn pictures! 
    

No comments: