Each year, millions of people make resolutions for the new year. Please, why does a new year mean change? Why does the 1st of 2014 have to be different than any other day? Did you know that about 88% or so of new year resolution's fail each year? And I am sure they do by the end of January. It's pretty pathetic that the meaning of the new year has succumbed to this. It's sad to think about all those people trying something and then just stopping!
Aaron and I discussed what we wanted to "change" in our life. We didn't call it a resolution because that's not what it was. We knew that our budget was out the window for Christmas, we had planned on it and were ok with it. We then talked about January and how we wanted to get back on track to focus on decreasing our debt by next Christmas so we can start planning our next baby and prepare ourselves for when I need to start paying on my student loans. That, is not a resolution. That is a discussion about the future that is very doable if both parties can hold each other accountable and see the end of the tunnel, together.
Our goals are big and manageable. We aren't trying to do something that it outrageous or crazy in any frame of mind. We know what we want to do and we are working, together, towards that goal. Obviously, it will be hard. Harder some months than others, but we can do it.
Now, because I have talked about our non-resolution decisions, I must explain my personal change I am striving towards. Being healthier. Now, I am not going to go all out and begin and execute a full on paleo diet and start running 3-5 miles a day at sunrise. Heck no. I don't have the energy nor will power to do that. But I do want to try and remember to take some vitamins, exercise to make myself feel better both physically and mentally. If I run to the store to grab a few groceries, I want to avoid those last minutes impulse buys in the Little Debbie aisles. I want to continue to eat at home and not venture out to spend money on a greasy dinner.
Tonight, I signed back up with Malaleuca so I can order my vitamins and some yummy snacks (as well as their cleaning products which I LOVE!) and then I hopped on the treadmill and walked/jogged 2 miles. I logged how far I ran and how long it took me on Brinnley's chalkboard closet door so I can see it each time I get onto that machine. I feel awesome after my easy run. I walked quite a bit of it, but I have no agenda except for my own. I run at night because I enjoy sleeping in that extra 30 minutes and running at night when Brinnley is asleep keeps me from lounging on the couch and snacking on crap. This is all for me. Not for any sort of resolution, but for my mind and body and self esteem. I have been at my pre-baby weight for awhile now and fit into all of my clothes just fine. But I want to feel good about it and not worry that it will come back quickly... I also want to be healthier and ready for when we do decide to have another baby.
These are not resolutions but choices we are making to better ourselves without stressing (too much) or losing control of the real reasons we decided to make those choices.
2 comments:
Resolution, goal, change....it is all the same, regardless of what you call it, Steph. Many people look at the new year as a way to start fresh, or reflect on what they have accomplished in the past 12 months and what they want to accomplish in the next 12 months. There are lifelong goals for sure, but breaking things into more manageable pieces, like a year is a great way to do that. One step at a time, one bite at a time. Not everyone makes unreasonable goal. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Good luck with your ducks this year!
I agree Niki! I was more so referring to the people I know in my life who talk the talk but do not walk the walk! Especially year after year of doing the same thing. I think that the new year can be a good time to think and do these things but it doesn't fit for everyone.
Post a Comment