Sunday, April 20, 2014

What I have learned

Becoming a mom has always been a dream of mine. Growing up you have visions of what it will be like and how you will act and what you will do in all different types of situations. Aaron and I spent many, many days talking about how we wanted to be as parents - we have our own way, our own rules of how we spend our days as parents. 
But, there are some things that you just can't be prepared for no matter who tells you or how many books you read about parenting.. here are a few things that I never knew and would never learn without first becoming a mother myself.

1. Me time has become a new skill I have acquired. Before Brinnley, I had tons of me time because of the opposite and ever changing schedules Aaron and I had. Now, it's become strategic for me. Me time only comes after bedtime Monday through Friday and during naps on the weekends. Activities during me time can vary depending on the day and most often include cleaning, lounging on the couch while catching up on TV shows, and finishing lesson plans. Me time is very sacred and no longer includes trips to Target, but every 6-8 weeks it will include a coffee while enjoying a head massage and haircut! 

2. Work stays at work. I am living my dream of being a teacher. Add that with being a mother and it means I work my ass off while I am in my classroom. Bringing work home with me is a very rare occasion and when it does need to happen, it happens during that me time mentioned above. The weekends are very sacred to my mommy and Brinnley time. My work is only touched on Sunday evenings (sometimes Saturday if Aaron works late) but only after bedtime and I work hard for an hour and call it good so I can relax and soak up those last few hours before the week begins. With only 28 more school days left - I have seemed to master the work stays at work mentality! 

3. There are never enough pictures. I always have my phone near me to capture any and every moment I can with Brinnley. Yes, I post many pictures of her but I don't post everything. I know that there will be moments I miss and I do miss because they happen so quickly - but I have also captured moments that I look back on and relive with Aaron. 

4. Nothing can trump a father's love for his daughter. There is no doubt in my mind that Aaron loves me - but there is also no doubt in my mind that he loves his daughter more than anything in this world. The love between those two is unbelievable and melts my heart each day. I enjoy watching them play and how  he makes her laugh just like he makes me laugh. It is something that nothing in this world can compare to. 

5. Your heart can grow and fill with love each day. Do I need to explain this? 

1 comment:

Lauren Peters Blog said...

That is the sweetest picture of you two!! You are doing a great job, mama! :) xoxo