Immediately, my jaw dropped for a few reasons: who was going to watch Brinnley was my first concern - we knew Aaron's schedule already and I knew he would be working. And really, would I have to give up my weekend for this? Those 2 days are my mini getaway each week, not to mention I hadn't started on any of my next week's lesson plans.
Man oh man, what was I thinking?
Obviously, some good has come from it. The conference and keynote speaker, Kelly Gallagher, were exquisite. He spoke of ways to not only help students with their writing, but to help teachers TEACH writing, which is so very difficult and at the same time, needed.
Anyway - the concept of Facebook and a way to research it through this website just fascinated me. It really had nothing to do with reading and writing or Facebook in any in depth way - but I really had a chance to think deeply about the time I spend while I'm not working. Mainly, because my co-workers and I kept saying how we are going to have hardly any time to get things done this weekend, how we are missing some things because we signed up for this conference, etc.
I knew it wasn't a waste to go to this conference, but I also knew that my daughter AND husband, who has been working evenings lately and whom I haven't seen hardly the last few days, were at home at the very moment and I could be enjoying them.
This hit me - I am constantly on my phone during the day while I am at home, or while in the car with Aaron, and sometimes while at home with both of them. Yes, I am on the computer right now, but I do have a job that requires me to lesson plan online. So, I decided to delete Facebook and Instagram from my phone.
Now - how long can I keep this up before I re-download? Hopefully for a long time. Because Aaron was working last night and Brinnley was asleep - I did get onto my internet explorer and look on Facebook from my phone and while taking a break from lesson planning today - I peaked onto Facebook a few times since it is saved right there on my screen! BUT - I hardly have time nor feel like sitting at my computer screen during the week so I don't see it being a problem.
So - here's to hoping I document more on my blog and that I can take a break from social media - it really consumes you at times when you let it!
Anyway - the concept of Facebook and a way to research it through this website just fascinated me. It really had nothing to do with reading and writing or Facebook in any in depth way - but I really had a chance to think deeply about the time I spend while I'm not working. Mainly, because my co-workers and I kept saying how we are going to have hardly any time to get things done this weekend, how we are missing some things because we signed up for this conference, etc.
I knew it wasn't a waste to go to this conference, but I also knew that my daughter AND husband, who has been working evenings lately and whom I haven't seen hardly the last few days, were at home at the very moment and I could be enjoying them.
This hit me - I am constantly on my phone during the day while I am at home, or while in the car with Aaron, and sometimes while at home with both of them. Yes, I am on the computer right now, but I do have a job that requires me to lesson plan online. So, I decided to delete Facebook and Instagram from my phone.
Now - how long can I keep this up before I re-download? Hopefully for a long time. Because Aaron was working last night and Brinnley was asleep - I did get onto my internet explorer and look on Facebook from my phone and while taking a break from lesson planning today - I peaked onto Facebook a few times since it is saved right there on my screen! BUT - I hardly have time nor feel like sitting at my computer screen during the week so I don't see it being a problem.
So - here's to hoping I document more on my blog and that I can take a break from social media - it really consumes you at times when you let it!
No comments:
Post a Comment