Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sunday Stories Week 10

How do you say that your week at work was great but at home, it basically sucked the life outta ya? Let me explain - there's no way that this beautiful little (big) face could ever suck and make me not enjoy being home, but circumstances that she can't control, can. Ya here me? 
Brinnley is used to getting runny noses - she goes to daycare, it happens every few weeks. But it happens to everyone - I get a runny nose quite a bit, but I know how to take care of it and can take oral meds if necessary, which never are usually. 
Little tikes, like Brinnley, have a harder time with the simplest of colds. We noticed over the weekend that she wasn't feeling well. She was acting just fine, but showed signs of not feeling well. No fever means she can still go to daycare. So after staying in almost all weekend due to weather and the fact that the SuperBowl was on Sunday (NO COMMENT ON THAT GAME...ugh), we snuggled and stayed in our PJ's all day except for a quick trip to Paul's for a few snacks. Aaron was home and it was very enjoyable. 


























Brinnley has a new love of standing on the edge of our couch arm and balancing up there. She loves it and if we let her because one of us is there, she doesn't just want to do it once - it's neverending! We have to put our foot down and say no, and she doesn't enjoy that either! 
Something else that she has come to love, is bath time. Before, she loved it but we only gave her a bath a few times a week, if that is was mostly on the weekends. Now, she goes to the bathroom door and says, "ba ba" without the TH sounds. She gets pretty upset when we say no, too. But, this last week she probably took a bath once a day! She could stay in there forever if we let her! 

Monday morning, I had the administrative assistant walk into my room and needed to speak with me in the middle of a lesson. She said that daycare called and Brinnley had a fever of 100. I always have my phone in sight or on my desk just for these instances but they have my work number if they cannot get a hold of me, which happened as I had a missed call. 











Being the first time this has happened combined with being a first time mommy, I panicked a bit and asked for a sub for the rest of the day beginning after lunch - which happened to be in 45 minutes. I gave my students new directions and put them to work as I tried to get a hold of Aaron who was home for a little bit longer before he went to work. I made up sub plans and left shortly after the students left for lunch. I was a wreck - I hated that my daughter was miserable at daycare and without her mama.
As I got home - Aaron went on to tell me that she didn't have a fever anymore, she was running around at daycare, and had already eaten lunch there. Needless to say, our daughter was fine. She took her nap and I enjoyed snuggling with her the rest of the evening. We watched movies and stayed in bed - she wasn't feeling 100% and I could tell. Thankfully, Aaron had the next 2 days off and was able to stay home with her. 

Wednesday was a great day for me at work - I had a sub that day so I could take part in a meeting with my principal/superintendent and another co-worker. I felt very privileged to be asked to take part, even if it was more so for the technology aspect of it and not the curricular piece. I guess I am getting paid to take control of technology more, so it made sense for me to see the presentation. A few teachers don't like that I have had this new position title this year, but that is their own jealously and bitterness towards the situation more than anything. The issue of our dress code has come to light in the last few weeks and the fact that I wear "skinny jeans" to work seems to not fit right with a few of these teachers. It seems to some that they are "glued on" and I am trying to be all "sexy-sexy" - yes, those exact words have been said to me face-to-face. Our superintendent had a great conversation to our staff about being adults and worrying about what WE are wearing and not the teachers down the hall. If there is an issue, he will handle it. 
I like to think that I dress very nice at work - if I do wear jeans or skinny jeans, I wear a very nice shirt and jewelry to dress it up. It is not against dress code policy to wear jeans, just that we look nice and professional. I'm not going to stop wearing what I do because a few teachers are not able to wear the same thing and think that it doesn't fit - everyone looks professional in a different way and in different outfits. 

Thursday evening was another kick in the butt. After returning home from work, we went to Walmart to pick up a few things and Brinnley got a juice while we walked around. At home, around 8pm, I noticed a few mosquito looking bites on her arm. I was confused to why they would be there - we weren't outside long, bugs aren't really out, and she was wearing a coat the whole time. I let it slide but it was in the back of my mind. About 20 minutes later I looked at them again and noticed more on her other arm. Once I lifted up her shirt, I immediately freaked out! They were all over her belly and I looked at Aaron and said, "We need to go to the doctor!". We started to get ready to leave and as I changed Brinnley's diaper, I noticed more on her thighs. I started to freak out just a bit internally because of the recent outbreaks in measles - thankfully Brinnley is up to date on her immunizations, but still, I didn't know what it was and why it was there! After a bit of research and talking to my parents, we agreed to just go into the ER to make sure it wasn't anything more seriously than an allergic reaction. We talked about any changes that we may have had recently and what she ate. I contacted daycare and they told me what she ate - nothing new that she hasn't had in the past. 
While we waited in the room, we narrowed down new things to the fact that she had a strawberry/raspberry juice - and she really has never had raspberries, and the fact that we had recently switched laundry detergent to a very cheap off brand kind. We usually stick to the same one, but just changed it last week. I had just washed the sheets and a lot of laundry that week so it was a possibility. The doctor and nurse immediately told us it was hives from a reaction, her breathing and heart rate were excellent and her lungs sounded great. After a dose of benedryl, a trip to Walgreen's for some more, and a paranoid mama beginning to breath again, we went home and none of us slept very well that night. 
The benedryl didn't seem to "knock" Brinnley out at all like it usually does, she actually stayed up pretty late and slept the normal amount the next day.

Aaron switched his shift for Friday so he could be home for awhile before taking her to daycare, he ended up texting me that morning saying he was just going to wait until I got home to go into work. He also stripped everything and re-washed a lot of things without the detergent to eliminate that from our list of things that Brinnley reacted to in our house. 

Friday night was spent relaxing and catching up on Brinnley time - her hives cleared up quite a bit and even though they were still there on Saturday, we stopped the benedryl and let her run free in a diaper all day.
Saturday morning, we went to breakfast and went to see Jason, my brother-in-law and Aaron's younger brother's new baby girl, Samantha. We visited with him and his girlfriend for a bit before coming home - Brinnley slept for almost 3 and a half hours so we weren't able to enjoy the sunshine because by the time she woke up it was cloudy and looking like rain! I cleaned, organized, and rested while she napped and we spent the evening playing and cuddling. 






Today is a catch up on work time and enjoying more Brinnley. I can't wait to re-start this next week with no sick babies, no fevers, and no trips to the ER. My parents come to stay with us on Saturday for about 8 days so we look forward to that! Let's hope this week will be better and less exhausting!












No comments: