For those who know, I recently started my student teaching in an all boys 3rd grade classroom. My cooperating teacher (or CT) is absolutely amazing. As soon as I entered the room I felt welcomed and fell in love with the boys. They are such a great group and I couldn't have asked for a better classroom to learn and be a part of until May.
Earlier this week, my CT was ordered to bedrest from her doctor due to some complications with her pregnancy that is still in the early stages. When I got the text from her saying she would be out for at 2 weeks minimum and that a long term substitue would be taking over the class and I was more than likely going to be switched to a different classroom, I was crushed. I broke down, cried my eyes out, and thought of all the ways I could try to stay in the classroom with those boys, the 26 boys who had my heart. I immediately emailed the principal and told her my concern for not just the boys and the transition for them, but for my master's and school work, (I have already started both my AR and my worksamples with data and observations for this particular classroom and set of students...) I only hoped that she would understand and grant me my request to stay with this group of 26 boys who had my heart from the very beginning.
She replied saying that things would be worked out. After talking with her this morning.. things were more clear. Yesterday and today I helped out the new sub with the routines and with the adjustment the boys had to make and get prepared for for the next few weeks. A few boys, M and M, immediately put up walls with the sub and became my little projects these past two days. They didn't understand why this new sub was so mean and bossy and that they couldn't just act the way they have been acting all year long. I had to explain that she was not used to this classroom and their spunky personalities and they needed to show her how they could be on their best behavior.
Now, M and M are not bad students, but they are definitely a challenge at first until they realize you are there for them! They have such bubbly and spunky personalities that you really need to know their quirks to understand why one of them can't seem to stay in his seat, and why the other M is sitting right in the front row where you can easily redirect him.
Throughout the last 2 days, they have ran to me any time they were scolded or told not to do something that they usually would do. Today, I had one of the M boy's in tears after he got called out in front of the classroom. It broke my heart... they are such a good group of boys and it's a struggle to see them get thrown off course and have to go through so many changes in such a short amount of time... I was there only medium, the only thing that was normal to them in the class at this point.. everything else was different and was changing...
Today, I informed my boys (I consider them my boys even though they are Mrs. M's class... because I feel like they are in fact, my boys) that I will be spending more of my time in another classroom until Mrs. M returns.. I could see that they were thrown off yet again and it hurt. They asked me why and when but I couldn't tell them, there's no knowing when Mrs. M will return and no telling if I will be back in their class full-time either. I spent today really connecting with the boys, reading aloud and finishing a book we've been reading together, The Witches by Roald Dahl, talking and laughing, and celebrating January birthday's with special treats. After reading time, I shared with my reading buddy, I, about the Narnia book I was reading and let him know about all the cool things that were happening.. he lights up when I tell him about Aslan and the creation of the new land... While some of the boys were sharing what they were writing, K, who is an excellent writer got up front to share and I stopped what I was doing to listen and teared up... I couldn't believe how quickly these boys got to me, they are truly so special to me! Each of them is so unique and great with their own personalities and I feel as though I have connected with each one of them in some way. I hope they remember today and the last 3 weeks when they look back on their 3rd grade year and smile... I know I sure will.
As of right now, the plan is for me to continue my action research (thesis) project with the morning reading intervention group (some of Mrs. M's boys are in the class but it combines two other 3rd grade classes also...) and I would come in every so often to say hi or to peak into the classroom. I can't keep being in the classroom and expect the boys to be focused on the sub while she is there... and I can't do what I am used to because the new sub is doing things differently than what the boys want/are used to so I am just in the way.. and it would be more beneficial for my learning and experience to work with a teacher where I can learn and teach the class at some point.
The next 2 weeks I will be in limbo and unsure about what will happen in week 3... hopefully Mrs. M returns and I will be able to return to her class with the boys, but for now, I will work in another class and continue on learning... prayers and fingers crossed that both Mrs. M and myself will be returning to these 26 boys quickly!