When I was a senior and playing soccer at Concordia University in Portland, a group of freshmen came in for the new season. Our coach told us seniors that he expected us to be leaders and get these little ones under our wings and help mold them with the rest of the team. Our coach and team were really about being a family and I felt that as a senior I wanted to help create a sense of not only a family, but a small community with the newest members of the team.. Apparently I did a great job because by the end of the season I was called, mom by those freshmen. They were my little freshies and I loved each and every one of them.
Fast forward to this day, it's been almost 5 years since I have graduated and this group of little ones have long graduated and have started their own lives. Unfortunately but fortunately, I have kept in contact with only one of these girls. She is formerly from Boise and chose to stay in Portland once she graduated. After I moved here back in 2009, whenever she would come into town we would meet up at Buffalo Wild Wings and just sit and chat about life, what's going on, and what everyone is up to kind of thing. I really looked forward to these meetings and although that was mostly the extent of our contact, we really bonded and have the same views on so many different things despite being in different places in our lives.
Anyway... this friend of mine has decided to take up an advantage to leave the United States and travel to Australia to play soccer. When she told me this and we talked about it more, I couldn't help but think about my dreams.
Obviously, traveling to Australia and playing soccer would be amazing. But that has never been one of my dreams. I always grew up wanting love, a family, a career, and happiness. Let me count which one of these I have seem to find... oh, wait. all of them! I wake up each morning next to a man who loves me more than I could have ever imagined possible. I was always the girl who had a boyfriend and it was just my way of trying to find that love I was so looking forward to in my dreams. Unfortunately, it took a bit of heartache and heartbreaking along the way to find it - but every second of it was worth it. Love is something you must go seek and find, it doesn't find you. I knew that meeting Aaron wasn't just something that 'happened'. We were friends for awhile, obviously. But once we made the choice to start dating - I knew that was it. That was the feeling I had been looking for in a relationship - sadly, it was something I had never known before in my past relationships but once I felt it, I just knew how strong and deep it could be between 2 people. To this day Aaron is part of my dream of love, a family, and happiness. Of course, Aaron is an essential reason why I went back to school and was able to put myself through my master's and why today I am able to do what I do - but I can't give him all the credit! I work hard at what I do and thoroughly enjoy it!
Everyone has different dreams and different ways of reaching those dreams.. I am lucky enough to have reached the tip of my dreams because I know it will only continue!

No comments:
Post a Comment