Life as a working mom is hard. Very, very, very hard. And especially with a job that you need to bring work home with you in order to have any time with your baby girl, and your baby daddy!
Last year, before Brinnley - I arrived at work super early (I'm talking 6:30-6:45ish each morning..) and stayed super late (4:30-5:00ish).
We are contracted to be at school 7:40am-3:30pm.
Yah. My thoughts exactly.
This year. I still try to leave the house no later than 6:30am so I can get to work by 7am and have that full hour to do last minute copies, set up, email checks, white board writing, coffee making (and drinking) and really, just to relax in my oasis of a classroom.
Once that bell rings at the end of the day, my mind is ready to be home. Unless I have duty - I usually leave by 3:45. I make any and every copy I can during my prep these days since a lot of my co-workers tend to use the one and only crappy copier right after school (big reason I get to school so early!).
I am home most days between 4:00-4:30. I love coming home to a smiley baby and with my sister in law working 3 jobs, I feel like I need to get home ASAP so she can leave to rest or get to work. The days that Aaron doesn't work and is home are the days I try to stay late to get things done for the rest of the week or the following week. He needs that time with Brinnley anyway :)
On to what I was saying...
Other things I have realized:
- I eat like crap. I literally shove whatever I can find into my lunchbox in the mornings so I can get out the door. This includes evenings when I scramble to make something while my daughter is screaming her head off in the other room because she has missed me all day.
- Showering has become obsolete. Yes, it's true. I don't shower every day and on the weekends unless we have special plans, I don't shower at all. Tonight, I took my shower once Brinnley went to bed so I can sleep those 20 extra minutes in the morning. That's like finding gold people, seriously.
- I am a zombie by the time 3pm comes along. At school, we have 3 separate dismissals because of our bus routes/schedules. Kids are dismissed at 2:55, 3:00, and 3:05. Once the majority of my kids leave at 3:00 - it's like a field day in my class. The 5 kids who are left are awesome and we sit around packing things up, erasing my boards, eating my leftover cookies (seriously, they ask for 1 and take 4 and all of a sudden they disappear!) and laughing our butts off. All the while I am yawning continuously and tapping my foot waiting for the bell to ring.
- Energy drinks and coffee are a must have lately. I swear, the last 2 weeks I have had both every day. It's sad and a habit I am breaking ASAP.
- The treadmill we bought has been used, hardly. Shortly after we bought it I got sick. Throw in work and then a sick baby and you got a mama with no sleep on a nightly basis. This will change starting Sunday. pinky promise
- These 2 people keep me going on a day to day basis. Even though I have my moments where I want to scream - at both of them - I remember how much I love them to my very core. They are my everything in my life and I don't know what I would do without them, seriously. What was life like before Aaron, before Brinnley?! Who knows, and who cares!

- And finally, I love my life.



2 comments:
I so hear you (and found myself nodding) on so many levels of this. A mama secret: invest in some dry shampoo!! It's not really an investment -- the stuff is cheap. But it will at least hide the fact that we haven't bathed in a few days ;)
Sending hugs!!
:) Glad you can relate!
I used dry shampoo when I was pregnant! I was SO tired during that time.. but now, I use baby powder!! It works wonders! I just blow dry my hair to blend it in :)
Post a Comment