Saturday, May 17, 2014

Ketchup and Pickle Time

While preparing for my second year of teaching last summer, I came across another teacher antidote called Ketchup and Pickle time. Basically, it's where students "catch-up" on anything they need to and then they can "pick" something to work on.

So, I adapted it for my classroom.

Ketchup and Pickle time is on Fridays. I assign work throughout the week and then it's due on Friday. And then on Fridays, it's testing day, Fun Friday, and Ketchup time. The kids know it and love it. Fridays are really low key and I try to make it as fun as possible to keep students wanting to come back to school.. or at least enjoy it while they are in the classroom.


The last 2 weeks we have been focused on Science Fair experiments and the students and myself are getting burnt out - especially with only 6.5 days left until summer break (for them..). Yesterday we did Fun Friday for a little bit - which is where they get to have "free time" and can earn the choice to do whatever they basically want. Usually it's only about 10-15 minutes worth, but they love it. Most of my students earn it by completing their homework and assignments for the week - but I do have those that just don't.
Here is what some of my students chose to do with their Fun Friday time.
Have I mentioned that I love my job?
AND my students? I have books on their way for each student and I can't wait to get them, write inside of them and give them to each student. We are also tie-dyeing shirts on Tuesday as a surprise! I can't wait!


This week, I have really hit a stride with my workouts for ToneitUp and the Bikini Series. I love how I feel and even though my time is limited and I have to use my treadmill for early morning workouts, I still get it done! 


Our daughter is just amazing. She has such a fun time wherever she is! She loves to walk around and explore and put things together!
 

2 comments:

Sar said...

Ohmygosh, "Ketchup and Pickle" time is adorable and I'm going to start using it.

LOVE all your running, Steph! Keep it up! Which half are you going to do?

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Sarah! I am doing the Fit For Life Half Marathon on July 12th! Eeeek!!