Thursday, July 3, 2014

Running

Most of my life I have been running. During the course of my 28 years of life thus far, about 20 or so were spent playing soccer and so, I was running. 2x a week, sometimes 3x a week. And then during the summer, it was about 4-5x a week. But, I ran with a purpose - I ran after a soccer ball, or after an opponent that had the ball or may potentially get the ball. And I was pretty damn good at it, too. Not super star, win a lot of awards, or get nominated for certain things, but I was good. And I loved it. 

As an adult, soccer has been put to the back burner. I don't know why I didn't keep up with it - after college I played indoor and even played during the summer when Aaron and I first started dating. It was a love hate relationship. I was injured quite a bit and well, just out of shape. Once I graduated from college and wasn't expected to workout 3-4x a week, I didn't do it. I took my break and ran with it. Of course, I got my physical activity in, in different ways, but I have never been in the same kind of shape I was in when I was playing soccer full-time in college. I mean, I fit into a size 6 jeans because my thighs and butt were too big for 4's and 2's. Now? I fit into a 2 perfectly and a 4 loosely and comfortably. The last time I wore a size 6 jeans was when I gained 60 pounds while pregnant with Brinnley. Amazing how things change. I miss my big thighs and toned butt. 

About 10 weeks ago, I started the ToneItUp Bikini Series. I stuck with it 100% for the 6 weeks (out of 8 weeks) and then I started to fall in love with running and decided to start training for a half marathon. The workouts for the Bikini Series just got in the way with my running schedule so I minimized those and the cardio workouts were interval workouts and I needed to log my miles to help with training. 

Why, oh why, have I never listened to anyone and just rolled my eyes when people said they loved to run, just to run. About 2 weeks ago, I hurt my groin. I was out for the count and cringed each time I had to lift my leg for anything - putting shorts on, lifting my leg out of the bathtub or even getting into my car was painful. My running had to stop and I needed to rest my body. I took about 5-6 days off completely from running and just tried to get some workouts in that I could handle. I had only been actively running and training for about 3 weeks or so, but I went crazy during that "resting" time. 

Yesterday was a great day, mostly. I am having a hard time with a few things personally - both emotionally and mentally. It was a rest day and Aaron had the day off, I try to keep my rest days on those days or my long runs on his days off so I can get things done or spend time as a family. We ran errands, went out to lunch, I had a doctor appointment and then we came home to relax. I was itching to run but I held off. After putting Brinnley down for her nap, I got dressed and ready to go for a run. Aaron knows that I like to run when he's home so I wasn't expecting him to say that he was heading out with his brother to go grab some more fireworks. 

I was furious - not at him but at the fact that I had to re-vamp and get ready mentally again and wait another hour to run. I needed to get out and run, my body and mind needed that release.

Of course, I was out the door and on my way within and hour and a half and it was amazing. 

I run to free my mind. I run because it feels good and I fight myself mentally to push even harder than I thought I had to. Playing soccer and running are 2 totally different things both physically and mentally. 

As I get back into my training and running - I am excited to see how I can push myself in both areas. I have some long runs coming up in the next few weeks and my half marathon was pushed back because of my injury but I know that I can do it! 

No comments: