Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Working in Vegas

Disclaimer: This is a super long, picture loaded post! :)


Back in March when I offered to help out with PowerSchool, the grading/reporting/attendance software for our school district, around the end of the quarter and with report cards my Principal/Superintendent (he is both since our district is itty bitty) asked me how much I wanted to help out. Of course, I said as much as you need me to. I understood the software to an extent, enough to help other teachers out and to take the load off of Susan, our district clerk's back. That same conversation included the question, "How would you like to go to a conference for PowerSchool in Nevada?" 
Sure boss, sign me up! 
I got the details from Susan, who was also going and found out that it was in Las Vegas! I immediately text Aaron about it and we quickly decided that we would all go. It was a 4 day conference and everything was being comped by the school for me going, obviously. Since I was getting my own room, it wasn't anything extra for Aaron and Brinnley to go and we decided that instead of flying, we would drive. All the details were finalized and everything was set for us to leave on a Sunday and the conference going from Monday-Thursday, and then we decided to stay an extra day on our own dime at the conference rate, leave Saturday morning and drive into Salt Lake to visit a friend and stay the night there and drive home Sunday morning.

The drive down to Vegas seemed to take fooreeevvveerrrr! I had everything packed and ready to go the night before and we woke up Sunday morning and took off after running just a few errands. I started the drive, for some reason Aaron asked me to drive until Twin Falls the night before - I don't know why, he ALWAYS drives, he loves it. But, alas, I did it because he would be doing all the driving otherwise. When we arrived in Twin Falls, Aaron decided to check the tires and everything else while I stopped inside the gas station for some Red Bulls. Turns out, one of our tires on the Ford was low on air. We filled it up and off we went. We took highway 93 - our the 'scenic byway' as it's called, and let me tell you, there is literally nothing on this highway. Aaron loved it but I hated it. I had no cell phone service, there was nothing to stop at and the rest stops were literally just dirt pull offs. We stopped a few times in the bigger towns (not cities, towns they were) and Aaron kept checking the air in our tire - he had to keep filling up, I didn't think anything of it and Aaron didn't seem too concerned, so I wasn't.
Brinnley did pretty well during the drive - we spent some extra money on a dual DVD player for her to keep her from going too crazy, or driving us crazy. She took her usual nap, out of sync with the drive in general, but it worked out. The closer we got to Vegas, the more ready she was to get out of her seat. I had to think of everything I could - drawing with mommy's notebook, eating red vines, watching different movies. We arrived to Vegas around 6 or 7 pm and after waiting for awhile to check in, we finally made it to our room. I ventured out with a few of my co-workers and checked some things out for the conference while Aaron and Brinnley stayed in the room and relaxed.

The rest of the week went a little bit like this - I woke up early to get ready for breakfast and my conference. I was out of the room each day, Monday-Thursday, until about 4pm with a few occasional pop ins in between sessions and after lunch. I was in sessions learning more and more about PowerSchool and PowerTeacher, which is what I was asked to take charge of to help out the teachers at my school. There was a lot to learn and I enjoyed most of the sessions! It was pretty flexible as well, if a session was not what you needed, we were free to leave and join in on a different one. It was perfect because some of the descriptions were not as detailed. The conference provided breakfast and lunch and they were delicious. I squeezed out early or arrived late to a few things in order to see Aaron and Brinnley and to even put her down for her nap a few times. While I was out doing my teacher thing, Aaron and Brinnley got to spend some time together. They explored, napped, even swam a few days. Of course, Aaron doesn't take pictures, so I just have to take his word for it that they had a good time! :)

Each night, we were left to our own to venture out and enjoy Vegas. With a toddler, the options are a little more limited, but we were determined to make the most of it.  The first night we took the time to just go and explore the hotel and the strip. We stayed at the Flamingo and they have a big animal exploration area and Brinnley loved it. We walked around the strip and let Brinnley get out some energy. Aaron and Brinnley both were exhausted and they decided to relax in the room while I met up with my co-workers for a show that the conference was putting on. We got some balloon hats made and enjoyed the free show. They left early and I stayed for the hypnotist act, it was hilarious!





Did I mention that Brinnley pretty much hates to get her picture taken? Ugh..






The rest of the week was pretty similar - after my sessions, we would go and explore the strip some more and go out to dinner, depending on how Brinnley was doing. She threw a couple fits here and there but she had a few great days as well! I'll let the pictures tell you. A few highlights - we went and had some goodies from Carlos's Bakery - obviously it wasn't the real one, but it was still pretty tasty! We drove by the famous Pawn Stars shop - but it was too hott to wait in the line to go inside!  






On Friday, the conference was over and we were able to relax and enjoy the day. After a little hiccup with the hotel, we were able to stay in our original room at the same rate for the conference! It was such a steal and so much easier than having to pack up to move to a different hotel for a fortune - especially because it was a Friday night! We spent the day swimming under the clouds and overcast and walking up and down the strip! It was fun and tiring. We decided to take it easy that night and we stayed in and played and scared Brinnley! It was a good end to our trip! We went to the Sprinkles ATM! Aaron also wanted to go to the Mandalay Bay Shark and Reef Aquarium. It was quite the walk, but it was worth it and Brinnley loved it! We had to ride a tram to get to the hotel and Brinnley didn't want to leave it! :)














Another fun part was the Wax Museum! I have wanted to go to one of these for SO long! I had a blast and Aaron kept laughing at how many pictures I was taking, but I couldn't help it. It was awesome and so worth the money it took to get in. 









This was the only picture of all 3 of us we got! Aaron is not a picture person.


Yup!







1 comment:

Lauren Peters Blog said...

Looks like such a fun family getaway!!! :) Love all the pictures!