Sunday, April 5, 2015

It's All About Family

I posted something on Facebook a few days ago. I shared my opinion about the fact that Easter has really lost it's meaning and I wasn't feeling the whole "basket full of gifts and hunt for eggs filled with candy" for Brinnley, yet. She has so much stuff - I mean, her birthday was just over a month ago and she got WAY more than we were anticipating. I didn't see the point in giving her a basket full of more toys and plastic eggs filled with candy.



A few people suggested buying things that she would use anyway - clothes, toothbrushes, coloring things, etc. BUT - those are things she gets on a daily basis anyway. Plus, she got a package of coloring things from my parents. Done and done. I didn't see the point in spending MORE money on things that do not need to be bought and to take Brinnley to a very super crowded park to most likely get eggs taken out of her hands or her becoming upset because she wanted one that another child got first. I wanted to be with family - that was all that I wanted for this weekend.

I never knew the true meaning of Easter and as I am learning, I am hoping to share these things with my daughter and teach her the WHY and not just the GIMME GIMME GIFTS mentality that I hear and see quite a bit from students that I work with.


Obviously - every situation is different, but for me and my family, I want to experience what it really is about - family and faith and remembering WHY. Yesterday, we spent time together as a family watching General Conference with the sisters and then after Aaron went to work, we went to be with his parents and some of his siblings. It was a relaxing evening and we were gifted a beautiful wooden slate with the Family Proclamation modged on to it, true gifts from the heart. 

Today, Brinnley and I drove out to Ontario to be with his grandparents, aunts, and uncles and a few cousins. It was again, low key, but super relaxing and fun to just be with relatives. Brinnley is so blessed to have such a mass of relatives that live within an hours drive and who appreciate her company. She of course, was a ham, and while we enjoyed Conference and catching up she was happily playing with the younger kids. She was even blessed enough to pick up some eggs with spare change to just experience the Easter feeling that will be stored in her piggy bank (or used for a sweet treat drink for her later!). 

I couldn't be more exhausted, tired, and seriously unplanned for the next few days at work - but I am not stressing about the little things that can easily be fixed with some hard work put forth later. I am going through pictures, memories, and future plans with family members that are truly special to not just Brinnley, but to Aaron and myself. We are truly blessed and lucky!


No comments: