Monday, June 17, 2013

A HUGE work in progress

Last week, we moved into our very own home. I think I mentioned it before, but Aaron owns this home with his ex-wife. He was uh, kicked out, when they split and she got a roommate. She then decided to move out and her roommate stayed with his wife and young child. When Aaron and I decided after talking long and hard about what we were going to do about a home for us - we made the decision to take over his home and refinance it. We couldn't buy a home until his name was off the loan anyway and that wasn't going to happen anytime soon thanks to his ex. 
I knew it would be a bit of a disaster when we moved it, I don't believe the people were very happy that we "kicked" them out... Despite giving them 30 days notice, they ended up moving out in just a matter of a week. I was prepared for some cleaning and some work to be done to the house but what I wasn't prepared for was the disgust and horrible condition a house that was housing not only 2 adults, but a young child!! 
This was just a tiny area in the living room. The picture doesn't do it justice.. The dust was almost caked onto the floor in every room that had hardwood floors. 
This is the first sweep of the living room. After I swept, mopped, swept again and then wiped down the floor moldings and vacuumed up the many, many cobwebs, my brother in law who was helping Aaron move said it looked like a completely different room! Imagine what just a little cleaning can do... Even what seems like after 2 years of no cleaning...
I couldn't even believe the bathtub. I wouldn't have even bathed on that let alone put my daughter in it!! And there is only 1 bathroom!! Again, the picture doesn't do it justice of just how disgusting it was! 
Do I even need to explain this picture?? 

I am looking at the INSIDE of the windowsill looking outside to our crappy dirt backyard that we have to fix! Oh, did I mention this was in the bedroom!!! Grosssss. 
Ok, I won't even share the "before" pictures of the rest of the bathroom. 

But this room is my little project. First, let me tell you I HATE the color. Horrible. 

I already have a new color up and have to get more paint to finish it. We are redoing everything in this room. New vanity, fixtures, everything!! I'm really excited about this :) 

Here are a few minimal pictures of our living room. It's hard to see but 1. The color is horrible. Dark. Ugly. No good. 2. It has rounded walls! Haha I have never seen that before but since it is an older home, 1940's, there is a lot of character everywhere! I do love that about this place, the hardwood floors are amazing and even though I want to continue to do hardwood in the front room it will be hard because the floors are original! I love how they squeak in certain places when you walk :) 

On top of the things mentioned above, we have something to do/fix/replace in each and every room! I guess that is our welcome to being a homeowner! :) I can't wait to put our own touches on it though and to see the progress. 

As for now, we are looking at replacing the old junky appliances with some stainless steel ones :) and soon!! 



No comments: