Monday, August 5, 2013

My Experience

http://happyhomefairy.com/2013/08/04/why-i-loved-my-c-section/


I ran across this blog when a fellow Facebook friend posted it. She had a c-section birth back in December, I think mainly because her baby boy was a huge little guy and it was something they wanted to do. 

After reading the blog post, my perspective on Brinnley's birth changed.. Just a bit. Like the blog author, I had always dreamt and "dreaded" natural birth (for me, with an epidural and drugs, I'm a wuss). I never thought I would have a c-section and although I wasn't against it, I just thought I wouldn't have to worry about it and Brinnley would come naturally. Because of this thinking I didn't look into what exactly entails before, during, and after a c-section. 
When the decision had to be made for mainly Brinnley's health to have a c-section, I didn't hesitate. Maybe it was the 18 hours of labor or extreme pain I was in... I was scared, yes, because it wasn't just surgery, but it was major surgery and I hadn't mentally prepared for it and had never had surgery before of any kind in my life!
I expected Brinnley to be pushed, not pulled, out and to experience all of those things a mom should experience during childbirth.. The pushing, screaming (well, I did plenty of that prior to my c-section), the ability to hold my child her first few days of life without extreme pain in my abdomen, to not have this forever scar, and to feel like I really really experienced the birth of my daughter. 
I know Brinnley was born happy, healthy, and beautiful as ever via c-section and to this day it was one of the most wonderful and horrible experiences of my life. 
This article gave me a different perspective and although we won't be welcoming another Bauer into our lives for awhile, I know that I may just have to expect another c-section and I may just be a little bit more prepared for it the next time around! 

No comments: