And after 25 years of having to clean every single day and to make sure everything was put away and in the right place and having finally lived where I have earned everything myself...
I have learned to just let it be.
It wasn't until just a few months ago that I really sat down and talked to Aaron about the situation.. I told him that I was frustrated with him not doing his dishes and leaving things e v e r y w h e r e. He told me that it wasn't a big deal that the place wasn't clean all the time because it doesn't need to be. Obviously, he wasn't going to let things get out of hand and start growing things, but he wasn't the type of person who had to have a perfectly clean place if we were the only ones who were going to be there..
I realized that I had been taught to make sure everything was clean and that when I would see a few dishes on the counter I would get stressed about them being there and make sure they were put away, and fast and it just stressed me out and upset me for no reason.
Why do I need to pick up the clothes on the ground or do the dishes every night after a long day at work?!
I don't! We don't have people over, at all (unless planned) so why do I need to pick up that empty soda can and put it into the garbage right away??
We don't live in filth or anything and trust me, I still love to take an hour or 2 to really clean the place, but I don't stress about a sink full of dirty dishes or laundry piled up because I know that it's ok, I'll get to it when I want to. When I want to...
For example: today I got off work and was thinking on my way home how I needed to unload the dishwasher, fill it, do a load of laundry, and sweep the kitchen. Well, by the time I got home I just wanted to sit on the coach and enjoy NOT doing anything because I know that this fall I will be going non stop with school, work, and student teaching...
So I'm doing nothing... (of course, I'm watching Friends!) and it's ok because this is
our place.
No comments:
Post a Comment